MASTER'S PROGRAM IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Information Systems (Information Systems) is a specialty of Information Technology (IT) in which the object of study is solutions for the automation of information systems in socio-economic organizations. Nowadays, there is an increasing need for research and application of artificial intelligence, machine learning, data analysis, etc. in information systems in organizations, agencies, and enterprises. Smart smart systems are also the target of large smart city projects of Ho Chi Minh City, domestic and foreign cities.
Therefore, the demand for IT human resources – specializing in analyzing, designing, and installing smart information systems is increasing. IT consulting companies need IT experts to be able to advise customers with computerization needs. Non-informatics organizations and enterprises also need staff with capacity in information system automation to analyze, design, develop and maintain automated information systems. IT training centers are also in dire need of teaching staff specializing in information systems to serve the needs of training human resources to meet the increasing needs of society.
Faculty of IT, University of Science, VNU-HCM implements the Master’s program in Information Technology to train human resources in depth in information technology. Masters in information systems will become engineers, experts and scientists playing key roles in the fields related to information systems.
The curriculum focuses on key areas in the IT industry including infrastructure information systems, enterprise management information systems, information technology strategy and policy, new technologies and techniques, intelligent data analytics techniques, and project management.
The Master of Information Technology program is led by the Department of Information Technology, a core department of the Faculty of IT.
The program provides in-depth knowledge and skills in the field of information systems, especially focusing on advanced topics related to the overall architecture of the organization's information system, information system strategy for the organization. In addition, students are also provided with in-depth knowledge of business data analysis, the application of advanced information system tools and techniques in the effective management of information system application. New technologies such as distributed systems, cloud computing in exploiting enterprise information systems. In addition to professional knowledge, students are also trained in individual skills, group skills, management skills and scientific research methods.
GRADUATES WILL HAVE THE ABILITY
- Understand and identify the key components of a computer system, including hardware, software, operating systems and operating environments when supporting operations and business management.
- Understand new and in-depth technologies such as mobile technology, distributed systems, search systems, cloud computing to support effective exploitation and analysis of business data.
- Apply methods of planning, analyzing, modeling, building and operating effective information systems in enterprises.
- Learn and self-study, self-study and synthesize, analyze research topics on information systems, form new ideas and research solutions.
- Independent or teamwork: ability to work independently or collaboratively, share knowledge and experience, present problems, debate based on experience, ability to run working groups.
STRENGTHS OF THE PROGRAM
- The current Department of Information Technology under the Faculty of IT has many years of experience in training and researching information systems. From the academic year 1995 - 1996, the Faculty of IT has started training in undergraduate information systems and every year, from 80 to 150 students choose to study in this major.
- The teaching staff is trained at the Doctoral level . The Faculty of IT currently has 1 Professors, 7 Associate Professors and 29 Doctors with most of the lecturers having studied abroad and interned at prestigious schools in the world.
- Classes are held on weeknights, Saturdays and Sundays, suitable for students who are employed.
- The content of the program is built on the basis of reference to advanced Master training programs in the world.
- Opportunity to practice and research with a team of prestigious professors in the field of IT at international laboratories in the US, Canada, Japan, France, and other countries.
- Research directions are always updated and in line with the development trend of the world. Students will have the opportunity to learn and research about the latest topics in the IT field, such as artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- The study and research rooms are equipped with modern equipment. Air conditioning systems, sound systems, projectors, high-altitude Internet connections, high-profile practice computers, dedicated fiber optic lines, libraries, etc. meet academic and research requirements well.
CAREER AND ACADEMIC OPPORTUNITIES
- Master in Information Systems has wide career opportunities, working in many fields related to information systems in planning, project planning, organization, administration, and project management at domestic and foreign enterprises.
- Graduates will participate in software and information system development projects as project leaders, analysts, and systems architects.
- Graduates will play a key role in proposing, designing, installing, and testing intelligent systems using Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, and more.
- Graduates are able to meet professional requirements at major domestic and international technology companies.
- Ability to undertake good research work in research and development departments at companies and organizations.
- Ability to teach and research at universities, colleges and professional secondary schools majoring in information technology.
- Ability to continue studying at PhD level at domestic and foreign universities.
- The teaching staff of the program consists of 1 Professors, 7 Associate Professors and 29 Doctors. In addition, the program also cooperates with leading lecturers at home and abroad such as JAIST, NII (Japan), Lyon 1 (France) and UTA (USA).
- Research and experimental facilities include super GPU (12 NVIDIA A100), robotic interactive devices, virtual reality (such as Kinect, Hololens, Leap Motion VR, Oculus), drones, etc.
ABOUT THE TRAINING PROGRAM
Students need to accumulate 60-61 credits, depending on the modality (programmatic, research-oriented, or application-oriented). Therefore, the time to complete the Master's program ranges from 1.5 to 2 years.
The training program structure consists of 4 parts:
- Part 1: General knowledge (Philosophy and Foreign Languages)
- Part 2: Foundational knowledge, such as coursework in databases, advanced artificial intelligence, and machine learning.
- Part 3: Specialized knowledge, including specialized and elective subjects. Students can choose subject groups according to the specialization of Business Information Systems or Data Analysis.
- Part 4: Graduation. Students undertake their graduation thesis or graduation project.
Major name: Information Systems
Major code: 8480104
- Students with correct and appropriate formal university degrees in the following majors: Informatics; Information Technology; Informatics Teacher Education; Management Informatics (University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City); Management Information System (University of Economics and Law, VNU-HCM)
- In addition to the stated list of disciplines, if the candidate has diplomas in other disciplines (Mathematics; Mathematics - Informatics; Physics, Electronics and Telecommunications; Cybernetics; Electronic) must submit a copy of the graduation transcript to the Graduate Education Department for consideration by the University on a case-by-case basis and must study the following supplementary subjects:
- Programming techniques
- Artificial Intelligence Algorithms and Applications
- Data structures
Examination period (annual): 5 and 10 months
Application period (annual): 3 and 8 months
Enrollment target (annual): estimated 35
Admission method: Based on the current master's admission regulations of Viet Nam National University Ho Chi Minh City, there are 3 forms of admission as follows:
- Direct admission: The Admission Committee bases on the list of candidates who meet the pre-selection requirements, and approves the list of candidates who meet the requirements for direct admission.
- Admission: The Admission Committee is based on the list of candidates who meet the pre-selection requirements, candidates must attend the admission interview.
- Entrance exam: candidates will take 3 subjects including:
- Basic subject: Discrete Mathematics (Essay)
- Basic subject: Basic Informatics (Essay)
- Foreign language: According to the current regulations on admission to master's degrees of VNU-HCM
Training location: Nguyen Van Cu campus
Duration of training: from 1 to 2 years (study outside office hours ).